Wednesday, August 3, 2011

oil painting a clay cab



I created a cab with transparent polymer clay. Transparent clay was used because I wanted an internal glow to the surface; this transparentsy compliments oil paints so well. It is in fact why oils had been the paint of choice for renaissance masters. The clay was beveled into an oval shape and sanded so there would be a smooth surface to paint on. It was not buffed, it as it needs some tooth. I painted in thin transparent layers or oil thinned with a liquid mixture or resin and turpentine called liquid.  The fine detail brush that has less than 10 hairs on the whole brush. The cab is baked for 45 min on the lowest setting of 170 for each layer / in total 5 layers, this speeds the drying time.  In between the time the cab was baking I worked on the cane for the lilies. Gold/white and transparent clays where used to make this cane. I will be cutting out the petals and shaping them into two lilies, and a few buds.  For now the final layer or the oil painted cab is in the oven and I will post pics tomorrow before framing it in gold and black. I also found the time to wrap some drops

No comments:

Post a Comment